Motorists using the Olympic Highway in southern NSW this weekend are being encouraged to seek an alternative route due to level crossing upgrades near Bethungra.
The upgrades are part of the annual major overhaul of NSW’s rail link to Victoria being conducted by the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) between Enfield in Sydney and Albury on the NSW border.
From 10.30pm Friday 31 August till 6.00pm Monday 3 September ARTC will run its regular maintenance closedown program, with works including track reconditioning and resurfacing, rail replacement, rail bridge repairs and testing, vegetation management, signal maintenance and level crossing upgrades.
“The shutdown allows us to do the track maintenance and upgrades that cannot be done safely when trains are running to help ensure service reliability,” said ARTC’s General Manager of Asset Management – Interstate, Brian Green.
“To maintain a high standard of safety and reliability across our network we have an ongoing program of maintenance and construction works. This year that includes a major upgrade to the level crossing at Tanyinnah north of Bethungra on the Olympic Highway.
“From 6.00am on Saturday till 10.00pm on Sunday the highway will be closed between Junee and Cootamundra. Everything possible will be done to limit disruptions, but motorists are warned that the trip between the two centres using the signposted detours will add at least an hour to the trip time.”
A southbound detour will be in place via Cootamundra, Stockinbingal, Temora, Old Junee and back onto the Olympic Highway. If you are heading northbound the detour will be in place via Old Junee, Temora, Stockinbingal and Cootamundra.
“In total there will be over 40 separate jobs being completed over the weekend with over 300 people working day and night in the rail corridor,” said Mr Green. “Can we also ask communities close to the rail corridor to please be cautious during the weekend, and in keep an eye out for truck movements in and out of work sites.”
NSW trains will be providing replacement coach services during the maintenance shutdown. More information can be found at www.transportnsw.info .
Victoria’s V/ Line services between Melbourne and Albury will be unaffected. Details can be found at https://www.vline.com.au/
- The Olympic Highway will be closed at the Tanyinnah level crossing north of Bethungra from 6.00am Saturday 2nd September till 10.00pm on Sunday the 3rd of September.
- Marked detours will be in place for both north and southbound traffic.
- The detour will add an estimated one hour to the length of the trip from Cootamundra to Junee.
- The shutdown will affect the corridor between Enfield and Albury but at different times.
- From Chullora to Moss Vale the corridor will be closed from 10.30pm 31 August and 2.00am Monday 3 September
- Work on the corridor between Goulburn and Albury starts at 6.00am Saturday 1 September and finishes at 6.00pm Monday 3 September.
Media contact: Campbell Cooney, 0428 929 186