Improving reliability and ride quality for passengers on North East rail line services
We know improving rail services is important to the communities of North East Victoria.
The North East line upgrade project will:
- Improve passenger service reliability by upgrading track condition and addressing the main causes of delays
- Improve ride quality and comfort for travelers by reducing bumps experienced during travel
- Reduce the causes of major delays that can impact services such as signal failures due to signal wire theft.
The Australian Government has committed $235 million to this project which will upgrade the entire rail line from Melbourne to Albury/Wodonga. The improvements will bring the North East line up to a Victorian Class 2 track performance standard, in line with other long-distance regional rail lines in Victoria.
Keep up to date and let us know your thoughts
We want to know your thoughts and keep you up to date on the project.
- Sign up via the form below to receive information on upcoming community events, works disruption notifications or just for further information on the project.
- You can also contact us on 1300 550 402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For V/Line Seymour line disruptions click here
We are committed to working closely with the community and other stakeholders as the North East Line Upgrade project progresses.
To manage the impacts of COVID-19 we have implemented changes to our engagement activities to ensure the safety of our people and community members.
While information sessions and community events have been temporarily postponed, we continue to have a range of ways to speak and meet with you via our website and interactive map, social media, email and telephone. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the project teams at any time.
Subject to the latest public health information we hope to be back out and about soon.
All about the work
What improvements are happening and where?
Explore our interactive project map which details key elements of the upgrade works and enables community members to learn more about what works will be happening near you. You can access Frequently Asked Questions and leave comments for the project team.
Who is doing the work?
ARTC is delivering the project on behalf of the Australian and Victorian governments.
We are working closely with Victorian transport agencies including V/Line, Public Transport Victoria, Transport for Victoria and Rail Projects Victoria to deliver the project in support of the Regional Rail Revival program, which is upgrading regional passenger train lines right across Victoria.
Experts from a range of organisations worked with us to prepare, review and validate the scope of works for the North East Line Upgrade project. To ensure upgrades improve train service reliability for passengers, we have:
- gathered feedback and data from V/Line, Public Transport Victoria, high-tech track recording machines, train drivers, passengers and the community
- reviewed all factors that delay or disrupt V/Line trains and are targeting works to reduce these impacts and make train services more reliable
- initiated an independent review of the works, methodology and delivery plan. The review has been undertaken by Monash University’s Institute of Railway Technology and a summary report is available here.
What work has already been done on the North East line?
Last year early project works, that paved the way for major works, commenced. This included priority mudhole removal, commencing resurfacing to more than 110 level crossings and starting more than 120 rail bridge upgrades.
Two new sets of crossovers between Seymour and Benalla have also been installed this year. Following their commissioning the crossovers will improve track access for project teams for future works, minimising disruptions to passengers. You can watch videos of the crossover installation at Longwood and the tamper in action below.
Main works started in early 2020 with project completion on track for mid-2021.
Suppliers and Contractors
We encourage suitably qualified, locally-based companies in North East Victoria to bid for works and supply/material packages related to this project. For relevant tenders associated with this project, please visit TenderLink: www.tenderlink.com/artc