Improving reliability and ride quality for passengers on North East rail line services
We know improving rail services is important to the communities of North East Victoria.
The North East line upgrade project will:
- Improve passenger service reliability by upgrading track condition and addressing the main causes of delays
- Improve ride quality and comfort for travelers by reducing bumps experienced during travel
- Reduce the causes of major delays that can impact services such as signal failures due to signal wire theft.
The Australian Government has committed $235 million to this project which will upgrade the entire rail line from Melbourne to Albury/Wodonga. The improvements will bring the North East line up to a Victorian Class 2 track performance standard, in line with other long-distance regional rail lines in Victoria.
Keep up to date and let us know your thoughts
We want to know your thoughts and keep you up to date on the project.
- Sign up via the form below to receive information on upcoming community events, works disruption notifications or just for further information on the project.
- You can also contact us on 1800 732 761 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For V/Line Seymour line disruptions click here
We are committed to working closely with the community and other stakeholders as the North East Line Upgrade project progresses.
Drop by one of our regular community pop-up events with questions or feedback about the upgrade or about the Inland Rail Tottenham to Albury project that we are also delivering in North East Victoria. All locations and details can be found here.
All about the work
What improvements are happening and where?
Explore our interactive project map which details key elements of the upgrade works and enables community members to learn more about what works will be happening near you. You can access Frequently Asked Questions and leave comments for the project team.
Who is doing the work?
ARTC is delivering the project on behalf of the Australian and Victorian governments.
We are working closely with Victorian transport agencies including V/Line, Public Transport Victoria, Transport for Victoria and Rail Projects Victoria to deliver the project in support of the Regional Rail Revival program, which is upgrading regional passenger train lines right across Victoria.
Experts from a range of organisations worked with us to prepare, review and validate the scope of works for the North East Line Upgrade project. To ensure upgrades improve train service reliability for passengers, we have:
- gathered feedback and data from V/Line, Public Transport Victoria, high-tech track recording machines, train drivers, passengers and the community
- reviewed all factors that delay or disrupt V/Line trains and are targeting works to reduce these impacts and make train services more reliable
- initiated an independent review of the works, methodology and delivery plan. The review has been undertaken by Monash University’s Institute of Railway Technology and a summary report is available here.
Suppliers and Contractors
We encourage suitably qualified, locally-based companies in North East Victoria to bid for works and supply/material packages related to this project. For relevant tenders associated with this project, please visit TenderLink: www.tenderlink.com/artc