Australian Rail Track Corporation is continuing to deliver major work for the $235 million North East Rail Line Upgrade this Easter weekend to complete three more level crossing renewals at:
- Racecourse Rd Level Crossing at Chiltern
- Federation Way Level Crossing at Bowser (Wangaratta North)
- Bourke Rd Level Crossing at Bowser (Wangaratta North)
Australian Rail Track Corporation General Manager Major Projects Ed Walker said so far on the upgrade teams have completed 19 level crossing renewals including at West Wodonga, Wangaratta, Barnawartha and have upgraded 16 rail bridges.
“Teams have worked systematically south after major work started in Wodonga with four more level crossing renewals scheduled for April,” Mr Walker said.
“Work will start at 6pm on Sunday 12 April to improve these level crossings and we thank the community for their patience with changed traffic conditions in place and increased vehicle movements in the area.”
Key achievements of NERL to date:
- Major site office established in Wangaratta employing more than 100 people including 44 local residents, three of whom are local indigenous people
- More than 100,000 tonnes of railway ballast delivered to work sites for track ballast depth improvement, mudhole removal, bridge works and level crossing renewals
- Directly engaged 10 subcontractors and 32 North East Victorian suppliers to work on the multi-million-dollar project
- Completed a major three-day maintenance shutdown employing 200 people
The North East Rail Line project remains on target for completion in 2021.
Media contact: ARTC media team 1300 196 401
Images of work completed on 4 April: click here