With ongoing support from the Australian Government, we’re investing heavily to improve the safety, efficiency and resilience of our network for customers.
Here’s an update on some of our major projects that are enhancing our network, while also creating jobs and supporting local businesses and communities around the country:
- Inland Rail (VIC, NSW, QLD): We’re progressing construction on the Narrabri to North Star section in NSW – the second of 13 individual projects across three states – which will see the upgrade of the existing rail corridor and the construction of new track near Moree. Learn more.
- North East Rail Line (VIC): We’ve completed main track works on our North East Rail Line upgrade in north-east Victoria to help ensure a smoother ride for passengers and fewer delays between Albury-Wodonga and Melbourne. Learn more.
- Botany Rail Duplication & Cabramatta Loop Project (NSW): To meet predicted freight demand on the Southern Sydney Freight Line, we’re progressing plans for our $400 million Botany Rail Duplication and Cabramatta Loop Project, including appointing contracting partners John Holland and Fulton Hogan. Major construction works are scheduled to begin early next year.
- Adelaide to Tarcoola Rerailing Project (SA): Having upgraded 600km of track to improve the capability of the line in support of freight traffic to and from Western Australia, we’ve been focusing on close-out works this year, including replacing the Gawler River Bridge. Learn more.
- Narrabri to Turrawan Line Upgrade (NSW): Will help boost efficiency and freight volumes between Inland Rail and the Hunter Valley. Following a tender process, construction is anticipated to commence in mid-2022.
- Southern Highlands Overtaking Opportunities (NSW): Will provide track and signalling infrastructure to allow freight trains up to 1,800m long to be overtaken by faster services. It encompasses up to three separate locations between Macarthur and Joppa Junction, with construction likely to commence in mid-2022 following a tender process.
- Mount Murray Loop Extension Project (NSW): We’ve completed this project to extend the 764m rail loop to accommodate longer trains up to 1km in length. Watch.
- Muswellbrook Bridge Replacement Project (NSW): Since commencing last year, works continue to replace three old bridges – the Hunter River, Muscle Creek and Bridge Street bridges – to ensure a safe and reliable rail network. Learn more.
We also continue to progress our Advanced Train Management System (ATMS) – our cutting-edge train control system that precisely tracks trains using GPS and mobile telecommunication technologies. Following the successful deployment of ATMS on our Port Augusta to Whyalla line in SA, we’re currently working through the next phase between Port Augusta and Kalgoorlie.